Tan Sri Dr Ng Yen Yen
In 1999, Ng Yen Yen took office as the 3rd Wanita MCA Chairman, leading Wanita MCA into the 21st century.
In 2003, Ng Yen Yen was appointed Deputy Finance Minister by the then Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed due to her success in the Ministry of Tourism
In the 2004 General Elections, during the term of Prime Minister Tun Abdullah, Barisan Nasional reaped an electoral windfall, and Wanita MCA made record by winning the most electoral seats and ministerial posts in its history. In the new Cabinet, Ng Yen Yen continued to take on the post as Deputy Finance Minister.
After the 2008 General Election, a new cabinet was formed, after the political tsunami faced by BN and MCA, Ng Yen Yen was appointed as the Minister of Women, Family and Community Development, and became the country’s first women Chinese Minister;
During her 9-years as Wanit MCA National chaiman, Ng Yen Yen has implemented several innovative ideas:
- At the beginning of a new century, Ng Yen Yen broke old customs and introduce new changes, such as launch of new uniform for Wanita MCA in 2000, advocated "intellectual women",
- Wanita MCA launched the <Chinese Women Revitalize National Economy Movement> to promote the country’s economy by calling women to join the economic sphere and to assist women in applying for national micro-financing program. On November 24, 2007, Wanita MCA founded the <Women Entrepreneur Award> in recognition of outstanding women entrepreneurs and to encourage more women to start an undertaking
- launched the <Shopping Basket> campaign to raise women’s concern and participation in politics; and advocated the philosophy of “the responsibility of the individual is to bring harmony to the family, order to the country and peace to the world,” to encourage women to participate in national affairs.
- In terms of social work, Wanita MCA created the <Cai Hui Guan Hua Fang> in 2006 to help single-parent families to live a happy life again
- In terms of social education, Wanita MCA launched the nationwide <Di Zi Gui> learning exercise on July 30, 2006, and received enthusiastic response from the public. In 2006, the Wanita MCA Diversified Home Economics Promotion Center was renamed as <Wanita MCA Multi-Purpose Training Centre (MPTC) Lifelong Learning Centre>, in conjunction of the lifelong learning program promoted by MCA
- In order to elevate the political status of young women members: on August 26, 2006, Wanita MCA amended its by-laws making it compulsory for Wanita MCA representatives at all levels to retain at least one seat for members under the age of 35
In order to attract more young people to join the Party in cultivation of new blood, Wanita MCA amended its by-laws on August 26, 2006 at its Annual General Assembly to allocate at least one committee member seat and one representative seat at branch, division, state and central level to members who are 35 years and below.