(Hon.) Datuk Seri Ir Dr Wee Ka Siong’s Social Media
(Hon.) Datuk Seri Ir Dr Wee Ka Siong
President of the Malaysian Chinese Association
An outspoken leader for decades in the Malaysian political scene, Dr Wee had served senior government positions prior to his election as the President of MCA in 2018 party.
From 2014 to 2018, Dr Wee was Minister in the Prime Minister's Department of Malaysia in charge of SME development policies, microcredit programmes and development of Chinese new villages. Before that, he served as the Deputy Minister of Education from 2008 to 2013.
Born 20 October 1968 in Jasin, Melaka, Dr Wee graduated with a degree in civil engineering and later earned a doctorate in transportation planning from Malaysia Technology University (Universiti Teknologi Malaysia). In 2017, he became the first non-Singaporean to receive the Nanyang Distinguished Alumni Award from Nanyang Technological University for earning a master’s degree in traffic engineering in 1996.
The former MCA Deputy President and national MCA Youth Chairman was elected as the Member of Parliament for the Ayer Hitam constituency in Johor for four consecutive terms since 2004. Within MCA, Dr Wee also serves as Johor state liaison chairman and has previously held the chairmanship for Sabah, Melaka and Negeri Sembilan state liaison committees.
Dr Wee's passion for education development is further reflected by his affiliation with Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman and Tunku Abdul Rahman University College, in which he serves as council member. Besides chairing the National Chinese Education Consultative Committee, he is also a council member of the Malaysian Qualification Agency.
Dr Wee is an active member in several professional engineers organisation including the Institution of Engineers Malaysia (MIEM) and Road Engineering Association of Asia & Australasia (REAAA).
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Transportation Planning (Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 2002)
- Master’s Degree in Traffic Engineering (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 1996)
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering (Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 1992)
- Member, Institution of Engineers Malaysia (MIEM)
- Registered Professional Engineer, Board of Engineer Malaysia (BEM)
- Registered Engineer, APEC Engineer (APEC Eng) (MY A 00107)
- Registered Engineer with International Professional Engineer (IntPE) (MY E 00107)
- EIA Consultant, registered with Department of Environment, Malaysia (I 00235)
- Member of Road Engineering Association of Malaysia. (REAM)
- Member of Road Engineering Association of Asia & Australasia (REAAA)
Previous government and non-government organisation appointments
- Council Member of Majlis Perundingan Belia Negara (MPBN) Term XXVI, year 2007 – 2008, appointed by the Minister of Youth and Sports, Malaysia
- Council Member of Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA), appointed by the Minister of Higher Education, Malaysia on 2nd November 2007
- Advisor to the Children Court, Johor Bahru, Johor for 3 years (since 1 January 2004), appointed by the Minister in Prime Minister’s Department, Malaysia
- Member of the National Economic Consultative Council II (NECC II / MAPEN II) year 1999 – 2000, appointed by the Prime Minister, Malaysia.
Political party positions
i. President of MCA
ii. Barisan Nasional Supreme Council Member
iii. MCA Johor State Liaison Committee Chairman
iv. MCA Johor Bahru Division Chairman
Previous party positions:-
i. Deputy President of MCA (2013-2018)
ii. National MCA Youth Chairman (2008 – 2013)
iii. Barisan Nasional Youth Supreme Council Member (2008-2013)
iv. MCA Malacca State Liaison Committee Chairman (2008-2013)
v. MCA Sabah state liaison committee chairman (2015-2018)
vi. MCA Negeri Sembilan state liaison committee chairman (2014-2015)
vii. National MCA Youth Secretary-General (2005-2008)
viii. National MCA Youth Education Bureau Chief (2005–2008)
ix. MCA Johor Bahru Division Youth Chief
x. MCA Johor State Liaison Committee Member
xi. National Chinese Education Consultative Council Chairman
- Chairman of Trustee Board, Tunku Abdul Rahman University College (since Nov 2018)
- Council Member of Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (since 2012)
- Honorary Professor of Tianjin University(since Dec 2017)
i. Member of Parliament for Ayer Hitam, Johor
Current term (2018 – now) elected 9th May 2018
Third term (2013 – 2018) elected 5th May 2013
Second term (2008 – 2013) elected 8th March 2008
First term (2004 – 2008) elected 21st March 2004
ii. Inter Parliamentary Union Member, Malaysia Branch
Title & Awards
i. Darjah Gemilang Seri Melaka (DGSM) 2015 (carries the title of Datuk Seri)
ii. Darjah Mulia Seri Melaka (DMSM) 2009 (carries the title of Datuk)
iii. Outstanding Young Malaysian Award 2005 (Politics, Governmental Affairs & Legal)
iv. King Scout (1986)
v. Nanyang Distinguished Alumni award 2016 (first non-Singaporean) by Nanyang Technological University.