Resolving high tension issue

On November 3, 2012, in Community Highlights

Waiting for the cables: The Cheras Mahkota High Tension Cable Network project was put on hold for 14 months before any high-tension cables were installed on the 42m-high pylons as the move drew protests from the residents in the affected areas.

BANDAR Tun Razak MCA wants the “mystery” of the RM90mil high-tension cable network project in Taman Connaught, Cheras, resolved. Then they also want Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) and the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to have a dialogue with residents to brief them on the project.

Division secretary Foo Seck Chyn said that the best person to clear the air is the Bandar Tun Razak MP Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim.

“We want him (Khalid) as the MP of the constituency, to bring the matter up in Parliament and get the relevant authorities like TNB and DBKL to shed some light on this issue which has caused the community here much distress,’’ said Foo.

“We want the project to be put on hold until better alternatives are found, such as burying the cables underground or maybe even push it further away from the residential areas,’’ he said.

“At the end of the day, the people must know the truth and we feel that Parliament is the best platform to get answers. Since Khalid had denied giving any approval to TNB for the Mahkota Cheras 275kV high-tension project, we want him to find out who did,’’ added Foo.

Foo said Khalid claims that approval for the high-tension cable network project was not given by the Selangor Economic Action Council (MTES) does not hold water.

Foo pointed out several news reports last year that reported Khalid as saying that the state was allowing TNB to resume work on the stalled high-tension cable project despite objections from residents. He added that a letter has been sent to the MP’s office requesting that he bring the matter up in Parliament.

Last week Khalid, who is also Selangor Menteri Besar. denied that the project was approved by the state government. He said that project was approved way back in 2007 when the state was under Barisan Nasional.

The controversial project started in 2008 and saw a line of transmission cable pylons erected at housing and commercial areas which stretched from Taman Connaught to Bandar Mahkota Cheras.

The project was put on hold for before high-tension cables were installed on the 42m-high pylons as the move drew several protests from the residents in the affected areas.

One of the bigger protests attracted 200 residents from 14 residents’ associations in the Taman Cheras Hartamas and Taman Bukit Segar Jaya area.

They protested outside the gates of the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah building in Shah Alam last year after trying to hand a memorandum to Khalid.

Recently, TNB resumed work on the project. Taman Connaught resident Ong Sook Lay said that she was worried as the cables were too close to her home. “It is only 20 feet from my house and I was not informed about it by anyone,’’ she said.

“How can it be right for projects of this magnitude to spring up in our neighbourhood without any consultation with the residents,’’ she asked.

“I woke up one morning and there it was (pylons), why must they come sneaking in the night like thieves,’’ asked Mohd Shalie, a resident of Bandar Tun Razak.

It was reported that the line will connect the main substation in Mahkota Cheras to the existing 275kV Serdang-Pudu Ulu and 132kV Balakong-Bandar Tun Razak lines which have reached maximum capacity.

This is to ensure sufficient supply to the Cheras area while taking into account future development needs in the area.

Part of the project also involves supplying electricity to the water treatment plant in Hulu Langat that has been reported to require 7MW (megawatt) by last year, additional 8Mnext year and 18MW by 2014.

-The STAR-

 

Comments are closed.